Setting: What's the point?

 I'm not one to fully embrace a setting. I use backdrop settings, settings that are simple, sometimes well known, and generalized. Stories are through experiences, not settings, at least that is my writer soap box. 

Sure, there are writers that create wonderful settings! If your story needs a specific setting, then perfect! 

I admit I create a few little setting details, and for that I use a very wonderful book! 

 The Only World Building Book Workbook You'll Ever Need

This book written by T.M. Holladay is a wonderful resource for world building. From environment to political situations, this book helps you develop your book's world. I've used a few pages when I got stuck and it has greatly helped me. 

Above all else, make sure you know where your story begins and ends! Does it end in the same place as it begins? 

No matter the story, you'll need a setting! It all depends on how big you want your setting to be. 

The Only World Building Workbook You'll Ever Need: Your New Setting Bible  (Series Bibles for Writers): Holladay, T.M.: 9798630118363: Amazon.com:  Books

Comments

Popular Posts